5 things to do during the first week
- Relax: Whether you have been laid off or fired, losing your job can be a traumatic experience, but don’t worry, it is not the end of world. You will find that you will be able to explore opportunities that you would never have considered while employed.
- Refresh your CV: We don’t keep our CVs up-to-date when we are employed, so within the first week be sure to update your CV to include your most recent employment and descriptions of your responsibilities.
- Solidify your brand: Your name is your brand. In addition to updating your resume, make sure that your messaging across all professional networks is up-to-date. This includes making sure that your previous employer is no longer using your name in any marketing material. When you make the request to have your name removed, ask politely as you don't want to burn any bridges. Finally, google your name to find any networks you may have forgotten and update that information as well.
- Stay off of Social Media: Don't cause unnecessary trouble for yourself by complaining about your previous employer. As you apply for new jobs you may need them to write you a positive recommendation.
- Get a haircut: Go ahead and get a conservative haircut, one that can grow out nicely during your unemployment. As will be discussed in my next post, this will be your last haircut for a while.